Wednesday, August 24, 2005

observations (not related to camp)

one thing I love about Wisconsin: Since coming home from college, I've been more aware of the clouds in Wisconsin--they come in layers. At the very top, nearest the sky, is a sheet of flat, gray clouds. Below that are whispy white clouds. And at the bottom, hovering near the earth, are the fluffy marshmallow cotton-candy clouds. Sometimes there is no top sheet--just blue sky between the lower white clouds. And sometimes the clouds all move in different directions, or the lower ones move faster than the top ones. I didn't realize how much I love Wisconsin clouds (or how different they are from clouds everywhere else) until I lived in Tennessee for two years where it is either all overcast or all sunny.

one thing I think is funny: As I was biking down the bike trail to the library, I saw two women walking side by side both talking on cell phones. I found it amusing, as I always do, that the people far away from us are more important to us than the people right near us.

one this I've noticed about myself: I am suffering from the most incredible writer's block. Not only can I not write, but I can't even stand to read things I've written in the past. My style has been warped by living at camp for three months. Add to that, I forbade myself from working on my stories all summer, because I wanted to focus on camp and not feel guilty for not writing. So it's being rather a pain getting back into writing and remembering how to fit words together (even remembering all my favorite and most-used words).

3 Comments:

Blogger Megan S. said...

Wow-- i agree with your cell phone observation. What especially disappoints me is cell phone behavior in churches, concerts, etc. I have seen and heard people begin talking on the phone while hurrying to exit an in-progress service or program, not waiting for the door to close and seal off the noise of their gabbing...

Hmm... i wish you good progress in banishing your writer's block and would suggest biting(figuratively :) ) into a book you love. I bet you'll remember which words are tastiest to you and will find yourself responding in your writer's "voice" to what you read. Just a thought.

1:44 PM  
Blogger amelia ruth said...

thanks for your delightful comment. As a matter of fact, I am even now progressing into The Eustace Diamonds (by Anthony Trollop?)--which I'd never heard of before the last library booksale but am enjoying immensely. It has already banished a very little of the writer's block.

How is all your writing coming, in the midst of work and life?

12:14 PM  
Blogger Beth Impson said...

What do you mean, writer's block? You're writing, already! :)

Seriously, nice description of the clouds; that will come in handy somewhere in a story. As will the cell-phone incident. They are rife here, more than ever. I find myself feeling guilty for starting to greet someone on the sidewalk because so often I am interrupting their phone conversation . . . :(

Good to see you writing here, and the other writing will pick up as you put pen to paper (fingers to keyboard?) for any purpose whatsoever.

Blessings,

Beth
exhausted from the first 3 days of class; good thing it's not a five days the first week!

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home