Tuesday, May 03, 2005

waterfront director

Well, I got information on where I'll be working this summer. The waterfront director of a summer camp. Sounds prestigious, eh? And I couldn't go to sleep last night because I had so many ideas about how I'm going to run the waterfront, and how it's going to be the cleanest, most efficient waterfront ever, and I'm going to be in charge of everyone and probably won't even offend anyone, and it'll be hard but I'm up for the challenge. All these thoughts went through my head at 2 in the morning.

This summer will be hard. For all my idealism, I can accept this fact. I will have to adopt an attitude of humility toward people who are older than me that I am in charge of; and be willing to confess when my air of superiority has offended them. I will be responsible for everything running smoothly, and there will be no handing off responsibility to a supervisor. And when people come to me with their complaints, I can't just direct them to someone else. Having this kind of responsibility quickly makes me proud, but will also quickly become a burden I cannot handle on my own.

Perhaps this summer will be the start of my maturation into a woman and not just an adolescent trying despirately to look womanly. Perhaps I will realize what sacrifice is necessary for the furthering of God's kingdom, and be willing to make that sacrifice instead of hoping that others do first.

Just some scattered thoughts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Beth Impson said...

You're already on your way, Amy. This will be a great experience in many ways for you -- have fun with it!

4:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home