Monday, May 23, 2005

My generation is leaving the church in droves--leaving because of hypocrisy, because of bad experiences, because frankly they can do a better job of it than some fifty-something seminarian who has no grasp on the real world. Their pastors don't understand the generation that goes to gay bars just to hang out with friends, the generation that wants authenticity above everything (or at least the appearance of authenticity), the generation that doesn't want to be looked down on because they are young. And so we leave the church, figuring that any kind of "fellowship" we might get isn't enough to make it worth our time. We value our own ideas; we have an opinion on every topic (and I speak from experience here), so anything a pastor can give us is only stuff we could figure out on our own.

So what is to be done? For without humility enough to accept fallen brothers and sisters in a church setting, my generation is rejecting the body of Christ. Screwtape, in a letter to Wormwood, tells him to stress in the new believer's mind the irksome habits of other Christians to get him to leave the church. Satan knows the power of grace-covered people meeting with other grace-covered people, for "where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I." And so he--effectively--does everything in his power to limit the power of the church over my generation. And only if we have humility enough to realize our own hypocrisy can we begin to show grace to our fellow brothers and sisters.

My plea to my generation is, don't give up on the church. Don't expect to be an effective Christian if you're going it alone. Don't be so concerned with reaching your culture that you fail to realize your own need for spiritual humility and for the teaching of men of God.

And my plea to the generation before me: don't condemn us without understanding us. Flee hypocrisy--we'd rather know you admit your flaws than have us find them out later. Talk to us and don't turn on us, measure everything you teach us by Scripture so that we can't find error in your teaching.

I wish there was a solution. I wish I knew how to act and what to say to make my generation understand the church's need for them and the world's need for the church. As my pastor said, the church will never understand my generation unless my generation is going to church. So I'll continue to go to church, and continue to speak truth to my generation, and pray for God's healing hand upon them both.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fieldfleur said...

Yep, it's important to critique the whole church thing and ask, "What's working? What's not? What could help?" I like your suggestions about each generation being understanding of each other. I'm wondering if your generation is really rejecting church or God? Seems like there's been hopeful news lately?....? but in the trenches, prob seems uphill.
I'm reading CS Lewis too right now! Love those Screwtape letters -- one of those 'gulp' (for guilt) books. :)
Teri

12:22 PM  
Blogger Beth Impson said...

What Teri said . . . :)

I've been reading the xanga blogs at times, and they are (mostly, not all of course) so discouraging. I fear that some of the folk here will be like so many youth -- having to learn the basics again by bitter experience instead of by listening. But with ones like you trying to encourage and exhort and admonish, there is greater hope.

Blessings,

Beth

5:48 AM  
Blogger amelia ruth said...

Well thank you for your comments!

I speak not from broad experience but from personal experience with some people that I know--so the situation might not be quite as dire as I make out.

May the Lord give us grace in confronting those we disagree with, and ministering to a disillusioned generation.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home