Monday, May 09, 2005

springtime

It is springtime in Wisconsin--a second springtime for me, which I am relishing. It's hot, too--eighties--without any humidity. Yet another reason I love home; it's not, as everyone assumes, cold all year round, but it doesn't have the muggy heaviness of the Tennessee air.

I just biked down the bike trail to the library and am sitting in the air-conditioning thinking of how good it is to be home. Certainly, there are broken ideals (my brother and sister still fight, and my mom still gets impatient, whatever I may tell myself when I'm fourteen hours away); and certainly I am still under an obligation to work hard (mowed the lawn, am making dinner, tried to unpack); but I am home and my mind and body are at rest.

I just learned this semester that I am an introvert; and as much as I enjoy my friendships and my good conversations, they are both draining after awhile. I had come to the point in the semester where I was emotionally and physically exhausted. I despirately needed the rest of not having to impress anyone, or not having to make light conversation every dinner time.

All this to say that I am relieved to be home at last.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth Impson said...

Enjoy, Amy!

I may be offline for a week or two, but I will be reading. We are going to TX to visit my folks and K's mom. I check stuff, but try not to spend too much time on the computer . . . :)

Blessings,

Beth

8:37 AM  
Blogger amelia ruth said...

Oh have a wonderful time in the hot, sultry, sticky, steamy, exhausting, humid TX! (I make no secret of where my loyalties lie; Wisconsin is my kind of place.) You may be sure I will miss your posts, but maybe I'll just occupy myself by writing on your blog in my "secret" attempt to takeover!

Enjoy the time with your family, and resting and writing and reading all kinds of good books. I have been seduced by "The Man Who was Thursday" (another birthday present)--and whenever I'm not cooking and unpacking and (of course) writing, I am indulging myself in the delightful novel.

--amy

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home