Monday, August 21, 2006

Eddie and I, in an attempt to be culturally relavant, tried to read The DaVinci Code--recommended by librarians, coworkers, and Americans in general. We made it to chapter six, before we threw it down in disgust: not because of a wierd worldview, though there is that, and not because of a lack of historical accuracy, though there is that. No, rather, we just about gagged on the writing, which showed a serious lack of literary talent.

Not only did Brown make up words by adding "ly" indiscriminately, but he used nary a strong verb or noun in the entire six chapters. Rather, every one of his sentences contained at least one (and usually about twenty!) adjectives and adverbs. My husband is not much of a reader, and this book drove even him crazy (you can imagine that it drove me, a former English major, completely insane).

I am concerned for America's soul, concerned that she shows far too much similarity to the ancient Romans (who after swearing to follow Brutus to the death, turned on him after a rousing speech by Antony), concerned that she can't tell right from wrong to save her life. But I am also concerned by her total lack of literacy, not just in being unable to write well, but in being completely incapable of knowing terrible writing when she sees it. Americans are not stupid all the time, but when it comes to chosing which books to put on the bestseller list, they show themselves remarkably illiterate.

Sometimes my husband and I will be browsing through books at Barnes and Noble when we come across one that is very badly writen. We remark to each other (just loudly enough to be heard by interested eavesdroppers), "Oh boy, this author's trying to pull a Dan Brown!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Beth Impson said...

Y'all are hilarious! I haven't tried to read the book, but I've heard similar complaints. And while clarity may be more important in some ultimate sense than eloquence/beauty, we lose more than we realize when we ignore the latter. (One of the problems with much "Christian fiction" these days, too, sadly -- as my Intro to Lit class pointed out this morning.)

Thanks for visiting at inscapes, by the way.

Love you,

Beth

11:27 AM  
Blogger amelia ruth said...

Oh, yeah, did I forget to mention--clarity would have been nice in Da Vinci code too. We couldn't figure out the time frame in the first six chapters. We thought it had been three hours, but it turned out to have only been ten minutes! Ahhh!

So, you all have started classes I guess. Eddie is going back to school in a week-and-a-half--for Drafting and Design of all things!

Love you,
Amy

4:58 PM  
Blogger Megan S. said...

It's been a while since I visited your site here... I haven't read the Da Vinci Code and was considering reading it so I could discuss it with some acquaintances who are interested in such things.... but on 4th or 5th thought, I don't think I will. Thanks for the review! Glad to know you two are well.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home