Saturday, September 27, 2008

Writer's Conference and Calling

This was my first writer's conference; and I pitched my novel to two agents, and the very first pitch, I felt like I was going to choke on my own nervousness. I survived that one, and the agent was very sweet. Fortunately I wasn't as nervous about my second pitch, which was good because that one didn't go so well.

When I told him the length of my fantasy, he proceeded to enlighten me on how the fantasy market works, how difficult it is to break into, and how, if my story is just a story about characters, I should set it in Victorian England instead of a fantasy world (as though a sense of place and story means nothing to me). Well, this got me quite angry, and quite determined that if the fantasy market is indeed as boxed-in as he says it is then it is time for somebody to try something different, like short fantasies that are actually readable by the average Americans rather than the heavy-handed technical jargon that is on the fantasy shelves of Barnes and Noble--suitable only to the diehards.

With that in mind, I am beginning my second short fantasy, and hope to write two before my next conference so that when I again meet with a protesting agent, I can at least come across as serious, if a little idealistic!

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth Impson said...

I'm proud of you, Amy!

Write from the heart -- not despising counsel, of course, but not pandering to the market, either -- and keep putting your work out. It is worthy!

Sorry I've not been more communicative -- hard stuff in the extended family, prep and papers, and illness seem to have occupied me pretty fully the past few months. Ah, life!

Love you, dear heart!

Beth

3:47 AM  
Blogger Megan S. said...

Good for you, Amy. I look forward to hearing more...

7:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home